Etna Road St Albans AL3 5NL


Tel: 01727 849700


Aboyne Lodge SEN Department



Ruth Clinton

Working days Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays only



Mandy Thomas SEN TA

Works Monday – Wednesday



This shows an overview of the provision available for children with SEN at Aboyne Lodge School Aboyne Local Offer


Accessibility Plan 2020

Accessibility Plan (Table) 2020-2022


Aboyne Lodge SEN Information Report (Reviewed Spring 2020) in the form of Questions & Answers.

1. How does the school know if a child needs extra help?

  • The SEN Code of Practice states that a child or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
    • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or


    • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

    Class teachers, supported by the senior leadership team, make regular assessments of progress for all pupils. These seek to identify pupils making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances.

    • Before identifying a child as needing SEN support the class teacher, working with the SENCo, will establish a clear analysis of the pupil’s needs. This will draw on:
    • The teacher’s assessment and experience of the pupil,
    • Pupil progress, attainment, and behaviour.
    • Child’s development in comparison to their peers
    • The views and experience of parents,
    • The child’s own views
    • If relevant, advice from external support services.

2. What should I do/who should I talk to if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • If a parent has a concern about their child, their first point of contact would be the class teacher who will discuss the concerns.  The SENCo will attend the meeting if requested or if further input and advice is needed a separate meeting with the SENCo can be arranged.  The class teacher and SENCo will take on board the views of the parent and child and act on them accordingly.SENCo Responsible for:
    • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
    • Ensuring that you are:

    o    involved in supporting your child’s learning

    o    kept informed about the support your child is getting

    o    involved in reviewing how they are doing

    • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
    • Updating the school’s Inclusion register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
    • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

    Class teacher Responsible for:

    • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCo know as necessary.
    • Writing class provision maps (with input from the SENCo), and sharing and reviewing individual targets with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
    • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school is helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
    • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

    Headteacher Responsible for:

    • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
    • She will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
    • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


    SEN Governor Responsible for:

    • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND

3. How will school staff support my child? / How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching. For your child this would mean:
    • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
    • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
    • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
    • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
    • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

    All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

    Specific group work within a smaller group of children. This group, often called intervention groups by schools, may be

    • Run in the classroom or outside.
    • Run by a teacher or most often a teaching assistant (TA) who has had training to run these groups.


    SEN Support

    Where it is decided to provide a pupil with SEN Support, the parents will be notified.

    The teacher and the SENCo will agree in consultation with the parent and the pupil the interventions and support to be put in place, as well as the expected impact on progress, development or behaviour, along with a clear date for review.

    If your child has been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school this would mean:

    • He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
    • A Learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan

    This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

    If your child has been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school this may be from:

    • Local Authority central services such as the Communication Disorders Team (CDT) (For students with Autism Spectrum Conditions)
    • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service or Occupational Therapy Service.

    For your child this would mean:

    • Your child will have been identified, by the class teacher/SENCo, (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
    • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
    • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
    • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

    o    Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

    o    Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise

    o    A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group

    o    A group or individual work with outside professional

    • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

    This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


    Specified Individual support If your child has been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching  this can be provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

    Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

    • Local Authority central services such as the Communication Disorders Team (CDT)
    • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

    For your child this would mean:

    • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
    • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need a significant amount of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the SEND support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
    • The EHC Plan will outline the type of support your child requires (e.g. individual/small group support etc.), how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
    • An additional adult/specialist teaching assistant may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

    This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

    Severe, complex and lifelong

4. How will I know how my child is doing?

      • There are parent consultations in the autumn term and the spring term. In the summer term each child receives a detailed school report from the class teacher
      • Parents of children with SEN and any other parents who wish can also arrange a meeting in the summer term to discuss progress.
      • Class teachers, SENCo and Headteacher will always arrange other meeting with parents when necessary.
      • All children are assessed regularly and their levels are recorded termly. Teachers and SLT members meet termly to discuss pupil progress and attainment.
      • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) and teacher assessments (TA). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
      • When additional support is needed the interventions for each child will be recorded on class provision maps. These provision map targets will be shared with parents each term where there will be an opportunity to discuss progress and next steps. This can be during parent consultations (when the SENCo is also available for appointments) or during a separate meeting.
      • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review meeting with all adults involved with the child’s education.
      • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group in which they take part.
      • The parents of any child involved in a Families First Assessment (FFA) will be offered additional termly meetings under the FFA system
      • Yearly reports of progress and attainment are shared with and monitored by the Governors.
      • Parents are welcome to request a meeting at any point to discuss their child’s progress. There are also termly SEN coffee and chat sessions where parents can meet with the Learning Zone staff on an informal basis.  The SENCo also holds SEND surgeries each Wednesday afternoon between 2.15pm and 3.15pm.  Parents can sign up for a 20 minute time slot via the school office.

5. How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

      • All children will receive good quality teaching and all class teachers have high aspirations for all pupils. Class teachers plan for the needs of all children in their class and differentiate work accordingly.
      • Where a child is falling behind or not making adequate progress extra support is put in place. (See “What we Offer” section on the school website for different types of intervention) This may initially be light touch in class support and close monitoring by the class teacher and LSA.  If a child continues to fall behind or not make expected progress discussions will take place between teachers, parents, pupils and the SENCO.  Additional support may be put in place or outside agencies may be involved depending on the need.  Parents will be informed and involved at every point along the process.
      • Assessments will be done at the start and end of each intervention in order to monitor progress and measure impact. Parents will be informed of the progress at each consultation or arranged meeting.
      • Our school follows the ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ model of intervention and support. Parents and children are involved in every step of the process.

6. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

  • We are a growth mindset school and all staff members aim to develop positive attitudes towards learning in all pupils. Each class has a set of learning power heroes and these are incorporated into daily lessons in order to develop growth mindsets in all children.
  • Every class teacher follows the Jigsaw scheme and uses this to guide their weekly Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE) lessons.
  • Where it is felt a child or group of children requires extra support in this area an intervention is set up to meet their needs. Socially Speaking or Time to Talk are programs often used or outside agencies can be called such as Links or the CDT to help set up specialist interventions or whole class nurture groups.
  • There is a buddy system (YR and Y6) where children in year 6 are trained to help younger children deal sensibly with disputes between their friends on the playground.
  • A counsellor can be used, from the local partnership, by the school to provide support for children’s social, emotional and meantal health needs.
  • The school has a behaviour policy and an anti-bullying policy which are strictly followed by all members of staff and are published on the school website.
  • The school adheres to the statutory guidance ’Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions’ and all medication is kept in a secure place and is only administered by designated people. Individual health care plans are written for children with medical conditions and shared with all staff that work with the child including lunch time staff.
  • There is a designated school nurse who works together with parents and staff to meet a child’s health needs. In some instances this will require referring a child to access a specialist support service.
  • There is an assigned Speech and Language Therapist that works very closely with the school.
  • There is a designated Education and Mental Health Practitioner (EMHP) who can work with parents to support their children’s mental health. They are also available to carry out interventions with groups of children in school where necessary,
  • The SENco is trained in drawing and talking therapy and can carry out sessions with individuals where necessary.
  • There is a Mental Health Lead and Deputy Mental Health Lead within the school.

7. What training have the staff, supporting children and young people with SEND, had or are having?

    • The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD, dyslexia etc. It may also include whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with an SEND.
    • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the CDT, SALT and medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans.
    • The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND and provide in house training where possible and necessary.


    Training takes place on a regular basis. If you would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by the staff members in the school, please speak to the Headteacher or SENCo.

8. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • All staff working with children with SEND have undergone training recently in different areas of SEN to develop specialisms to ensure that there is a wide range of skills and expertise in all areas of SEN. Specialisms include behaviour support, Autism, Specific Learning Difficulties e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia, literacy and maths interventions, reading intervention etc.
  • The school has a link Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapist, Counsellor, Educaion and Mental Health Worker and school nurse to whom they can directly refer to.
  • The school nurse is then able to refer to different health services such as: Community paediatrics, Speech and Language Team, Occupational Therapy, Child and Adolescent Mental Health service, Visual Impairment Team etc.

The school can also access outreach services such as: Links, CDT, Educational Psychology Service, PNI Team, Windermere Specific Learning Difficulties base(Assessment, advice and resources for children with literacy or numeracy difficulties including Dyslexia), Occupational Therapy (Including specialist moving and handling OTs), Physiotherapy, Counselling service and ESTMA

9. How will you help me to support my child’s learning? What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN/and or disabilities?

  • We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
  • Parent’s Evenings are held in the Autumn and Spring term to keep parents fully informed of their child’s progress and an annual report is written for each child in the Summer Term.
  • The SENCo (or Head teacher) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCo will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
  • Provision maps will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • Coffee and chat sessions are held for parents of children with SEND and ‘surgeries’ with outside agencies such as the school nurse, the autism advisory teacher etc. can be arranged to answer any questions parents might have.
  • In addition: If your child is undergoing statutory assessment you will also be supported by the Children’s Services SEN Team. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.

10. How will I be involved in discussions about planning for my child’s education?

    • There are formal occasions such as Parent’s Evening where parents are involved in discussions about their child’s education however we have an ‘open door’ policy where parents are usually able to speak to a teacher before or after school to pass on a message/ piece of information or a meeting is planned where a longer discussion may be needed.
    • Appointments can be made with the SENCo to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
    • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you, with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

    Provision Maps will be reviewed and new targets will be set with your involvement each term.

11. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Your child will be included in all activities inside and outside the classroom. Reasonable adjustments will be made when necessary to ensure this is possible. (See the Accessibility Plan on the school website)
  • We will endeavour to ensure trips are accessible for all. If your child has needs that mean specialist transport and/or equipment is needed we will discuss these issues with you and external professionals to ensure we make the appropriate adjustments to ensure the activities/trips are appropriate, safe and accessible.
  • Your child will be allowed to attend any school club allocated to their specific year group. We endeavor to make all activities accessible for all. Where there may be some extra arrangements to be made, you can arrange to meet with the club leader to ensure safety and inclusivity for your child.

12. How accessible is the school environment?

  • The building is accessible to children with physical disabilities. (See the Accessibility Plan on the school website)
  • Ramps are fitted where necessary and there is a lift to enable those with a physical disability to access KS2.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

13. How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school? Who can I contact for further information?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCo or Headteacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.
  • The SEND Policy and The Equalities Policy are available to inform and support parents. These can be viewed via the school website.

Contact details for the Headteacher, SENCo and SEND Governor are also available on the school’s website.

14. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:

o    We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.

o    We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

  • When moving classes in school:

o    Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and all provision maps will be shared. Where necessary transition meetings for individual children will take place, involving the current teacher, the new teacher and the parents, to share successful strategies, discuss important information and to plan ahead.

o    If your child would be helped by a book/social story to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

  • In Year 6:

o    Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

o    Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

o    Where necessary meetings will be planned involving the SENCo, parents, pupil and staff at the new school.

15. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The school has an amount identified within its overall budget called the notional SEN budget. This is used for resources to support the progress of children with SEN. This is used to employ Learning Support Assistants to meet the needs of children with SEN, buy specialist equipment, books or stationary or provide specialised training for staff.
  • Where a child requires provision which exceeds the nationally prescribed threshold additional, top-up funding can be applied for through the local authority. (Local High Needs Funding).
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

o    the children getting extra support already

o    the children needing extra support

o    the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

16. Where can I find out about the local authority’s local offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEN?

Local authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. In setting out what they ‘expect to be available’, local authorities should include provision which they believe will actually be available.

Hertfordshire’s local offer can be accesses at


<< Dec 2021 >>
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2